Summer Jazz: Phillip Johnston, Gary Daley & Paul Cutlan
- Date: Saturday, 11 February 2017, 8pm - Special Support Artist | 9pm - Headline Performance
- Venue: The Sound Lounge — Seymour Theatre Centre, Cnr City Rd and Cleveland St, Chippendale, NSW
- Tickets: Non-Member: $38 | Concession/Member: $32 | Student: $25 — Tickets can be purchased online or by phone on (02) 9351 7940
Summer Jazz: the Page of Madness suite - Phillip Johnston with special support by Gary Daley & Paul Cutlan.
THE PAGE OF MADNESS SUITE - PHILLIP JOHNSTON (9pm)
Phillip Johnston’s Page of Madness: Suite for Improvisers is based on Johnston’s original score for Teinosuke Kinugasa’s 1926 Japanese silent film, Kurutta Ippeji (A Page of Madness). The work was premiered at the Lincoln Centre in 1998 and later had its Australian premiere at The Sydney Film Festival in 2008. The Suite for Improvisers was created from themes used in the film score and some of the structures, which applied improvised music to silent film scoring. The music is a vehicle
for a group of stellar Sydney improvisers, in the spirit of large ensemble works such as the music of the New York Composers Orchestra. Johnston was an originating member of this in the late 1980s. This film-score-without-a-film is both haunting and exhilarating.
PHILLIP JOHNSTON soprano saxophone PETER FARRAR alto saxophone SANDY EVANS tenor saxophone ANDREW ROBSON alto saxophone JASON NOBLE clarinet PAUL CUTLAN bass clarinet ALEX SILVER trombone JAMES GREENING trombone, tuba DARYL PRATT vibraphone MATT MCMAHON piano LLOYD SWANTON bass HAMISH STUART drums
GARY DALEY AND PAUL CUTLAN (8pm)
“This duo is doing some of the most interesting combinations of composed and improvised music that I’ve heard in Australia...An amazing performance...pure pleasure for the listener.” Philip Johnston, composer.
Gary Daley and Paul Cutlan have established a unique musical collaboration, discovering their shared passion for twentieth century classical, jazz, world music and free improvisation. From Messiaen to Bartok, Fats Waller to Steve Swallow, traditional African to atmospheric “improv”, Gary and Paul create music of colour, beauty and emotion.
GARY DALEY piano, accordion PAUL CUTLAN clarinet, bass clarinet
Further information for this event is available online at the event's website or by phone on (02) 9036 6292
Featured Australian Works
|The Page of Madness suite by Phillip Johnston|
- Music of Phillip Johnston
- Jazz/improvisation by Paul Cutlan
- Jazz/improvisation by Gary Daley
- Jazz/improvisation by Peter Farrar
- Jazz/improvisation by Sandy Evans
- Jazz/improvisation by Andrew Robson
- Jazz/improvisation by Jason Noble
- Jazz/improvisation by James Greening
- Jazz/improvisation by Daryl Pratt
- Jazz/improvisation by Lloyd Swanton
- Jazz/improvisation by Matt McMahon
- Jazz/improvisation by Hamish Stuart
- Jazz/improvisation by Alex Silver
User reviews & comments
Be the first to share your thoughts, opinions or insights about this event.
To post your comment please login