The Bourbaki Ensemble: in memoriam: music for horns and strings
- Date: Sunday, 6 March 2016, 2:30pm
- Venue: St Stephen's Church, Newtown — 189 Church St, Newtown, NSW
- Tickets: Adults: $35 | Children: $25 | Concession: $25 (Tickets available at the door)
* Sir Edward Elgar, String Quartet in E minor, Op.83, arranged for string orchestra by David Matthews.
* Benjamin Britten, In Memoriam Dennis Brain, for four horns, bells and strings.
* Arvo Pärt, Cantus in memoriam Benjamin Britten, for strings and bell.
* Percy Grainger, Irish Tune from County Derry for strings and horns.
* Michael Haydn, Concerto for Two Horns (Neil O'Donnell, Natasha Roumanoff, horns).
The planning of this concert began with the idea of performing Britten's spine-tingling tribute to the great horn virtuoso Dennis Brain, who died in a car crash at the age of just 36. The programme then develops in two directions: more works involving horns (Grainger, Haydn) and further memorial works. Pärt's Cantus makes a fine counterpart to Britten's work, while the slow movement of Elgar's string quartet was a particular favourite of the composer's wife, and was played at her funeral.
Featured non-Australian music: Elgar (arr, David Matthews), Britten, Pärt
User reviews & comments
Be the first to share your thoughts, opinions or insights about this event.
To post your comment please login