Sheet Music: Score
Mandala 1 : for wind quintet / David Lumsdaine.
by David Lumsdaine (1968)
Throughout Mandala 1 there is an entire absence of foreground pulse (beat) and meter. Shapes float across one another, reflect one another, sometimes collide with, and refract one another; isolated tones hang suspended in the air; no sooner do two or three instruments come together, but they ripple off into their own time field. This lack of regularity takes the music to the bounds of playability in terms of ensemble and gives it what may be, at first, a disconcerting character for the listener.
Published by: University of York Music Press — 1 score (12p. -- B4 (portrait))
Duration: 15 min.
This is a handwritten edition — it is not typeset.
- Browse other works published by University of York Music Press
- Browse other works for Wind quintets
- Browse other works by David Lumsdaine
Analysis & Media
- Article: David Lumsdaine / Richard Cooke.
- Program note: David Lumsdaine's "Mandala 1"
program note by the composer
Be the first to share your thoughts, opinions and insights about this item.
To post a comment please login