The Great Bands of Australia
The Great Bands of Australia. (2 CDs) with 75-page booklet.
Historic brass bands from 1912 to 1976, including the famous Newcastle Steelworks Band, a 1938 performance of Advance Australia Fair, and soloists including the legendary Percy Code. Compiled and with booklet by Jack Greaves, who has been involved with the band movement since 1936 when he joined the Young Australia League Band. He has been the Historical Research Officer with the Band Association of NSW since 1987.
* Besses o' th' Barn Band with Percy Code, cornet, Deep Harmony (1912)
* Newcastle Steelworks Band conducted by Albert H. Baile, Honest Toil March, Zelda - Caprice, On the Cornish Coast, The Laughing Trombone with Charles Dean, trombone, Ida and Dot, and Charlie is me Darling (1924)
* Hawthorn Citadel Salvation Army of Melbourne Band, The Voice that Breathed o'er Eden (1925)
* Australian Commonwealth Band, Hungarian Dance No. 5, The Turkish Patrol, and On with the Motley with Fred Myers, trombone (1926-28)
* Malvern Tramways Band, excerpt from Joan of Arc (1927)
* Bondi Beach Concert Band, When I'm Looking at You (1930)
* Regimental Band of 55th Battalion, New South Wales Rifles, Life Divine (1931)
* Cairns Citizens' Band, Thoughts (1936)
* New South Wales Police Band, Advance Australia Fair (1938)
* ABC National Military Band, Poziéres March and Love's Enchantment (1944, 1949)
* Ballarat City Band, The Scindian March (1948)
* St John Ambulance Brigade Band, Emma with Charles Bignall, cornet, and The King and I medley (1950, 1956)
* Massed 'A' Grade Bands, Ballarat, A Night in June (1952)
* Malvern Municipal Band, The Flying Squad March (1957)
* RAAF Central Band, 'Love Theme' from Scheherazade (1971)
* RAN Concert Band, Swagman's Promenade (1973)
* Second Military District Band, Molly Asthore Waltz and The Manly Beach Galop (1974)
* Footscray-Yarraville Band, Tristesse or So Deep is the Night (1975)
* Tanunda Band, The Lord is my Shepherd (1975)
* Newcastle Police-Citizens' Boys Club Band, Sullivan at Sea (1976).
There are also tracks featuring noted soloists with piano accompaniment
* James Compton, cornet, Stars in a Velvet Sky (1927)
* Charles Court, cornet, Lucille (1928)
* Harry Berry, cornet, Fantasie Brilliante (1929)
* Wally Brown and Jack Remfry Sr., cornet and trombone duet, Barcarolle from Tales of Hoffman (1928)
* Doug Trottman, tenor horn, Northern Fantasia (1961).
Be the first to share your thoughts, opinions and insights about this item.
To post a comment please login