14th International Jazz Competition, Bucharest
- Deadline date: 10 Feb 2021 [Registration Deadline]
- Date held: 15 - 22 May, 2021
- Location: Bucharest, Romania
- Total prizes: EUR 7,000
- Entry fee: EUR 120
- Entry restriction: Applicants must be born after 1st of May 1981
The 15th Bucharest International Jazz Competition, 15 - 22 May 2021, is open to bands and vocalists of all nationalities.
Applicants must be born after 1st of May 1981.
Bands may have up to 6 performing musicians and they may include:
- instrumentalists and vocalists;
1st Round - Selection of semi-finalists:
The admissions panel and adjudicators will evaluate each application. Recordings must have been made within the past 12 months.
The application must include 2-3 pieces of different style.
2nd Round - Semi-‐final on 15 – 20 May:
- Semi-finalists will perform 50 - 60 minutes in the competition's concert hall;
- Semi-finalists will perform 50 - 60 minutes in an unconventional space;
- Sem-finalists will perform 60 - 80 minutes in jam sessions Competitors have complete freedom in choosing their repertoire.
3rd Round - Final and Gala on 21 - 22 May:
Finalists will perform 30 - 40 minutes.
Competition Entry Requirements:
Registration in the competition will be made based on digital documents:
- 1. application form - Annex A, Annex B ( for each member ), Annex C;
- 2. recordings for the competition;
- 3. two different group photos, color, landscape format, min 1MB;
- 4. copy of the bank confirmation for the payment of the registration fee;
- 5. short presentation of the group -‐ max. 10 lines;
- 6. copy of passport |identity card for EU citizens, for each group's member;
- 7. technical rider.
All digital documents will be sent using www.wetransfer.com as follows:
- make a folder and name it as your band;
- copy all digital documents ( pdf or word ) in the folder;
- archive / compress the folder ( zip, rar etc. );
- send the folder by www.wetransfer.com to email email@example.com ;
- please mention: "Application for jazz competition – band's name".
The registration fee for one application / group is EUR 120 and will be paid by bank transfer. Transfer details can be found on the competition website.
Registration deadline is February 10, 2021 ( by email: 23:59 ).
Confirmation of the applicants' registration in the competition will be made before March 1, 2021.
The participants will have a professional technician and sound system along with backline of drum kit, acoustic or digital piano, bass amplifier, guitar amplifier and microphones.
For Finalists ( 4-‐6 bands ) the organisers will provide free accommodation, organised through the system of the competition, for the entire period of the Final. This offer is available only for those bands that have already used the accommodation system of the competition, being accommodated until the Final in the same hotels.
For Semifinalists the organisers provide accommodation options at special prices. If you are interested please make a request to firstname.lastname@example.org .
The total amount of the prizes is EUR 7,000 : cash, in Romanian currency and concerts engagements.
- Grand Prize Winner: EUR 1,200;
- Special Prize -‐ Best Band: EUR 400;
- Special Prize -‐ Best Vocalist: EUR 400;
- 3 – 5 concerts engagements for one or two finalist bands.
The prize-‐winners will have priority in being included in the programs organized by jmEvents both nationally and abroad.
Final performers will receive diplomas, upon request. Prizes will be awarded by a Jury whose members are well known personalities of the jazz musical world. The Jury will use the standard criteria as:
- style / interpretation;
- technique / diction / articulation;
- time and rhythm;
All the decisions of the Jury are final and non-‐appealable. The public preference will be considered for the final decision.
Each award-winner must receive his or her prize personally the next day after the Gala Concert. Any claim for the prizes after this date is not accepted.
The concerts could be broadcast by the Broadcasting Corporation or recorded for later transmission. A live or deferred broadcast by other Romanian or foreign Broadcasting Corporations is possible, as well as a complete or partial re-‐broadcast of the concerts on mass-‐media or online channels.
By applying to take part in the competition, the applicants give their implied consent for this recording as well as for its transmission under the conditions mentioned above. The participants and the prize-‐winners have no claim to additional fees.
During the development of Bucharest International Jazz Competition, the participating bands and musicians are not allowed to perform in any other spaces except for those of this competition.
The infringement of rules has as consequence the exclusion from the competition, which is irrevocable, and/or taking pecuniary measures.
For further information, please don’t hesitate to contact us !
Phone: + 40 722.214.171.124
Mailing Address: P.O. Box. 13-63, Bucharest, Romania