3rd Zodiac International Music Competition
- Discipline/Field: Instrumental soloists and composition
- Deadline date: 15 Mar 2021 [Delivery Deadline]
- Date held: April 15th, 2021
- Location: South of France and New York, NY USA, France
- Total prizes: USD 1,500, travel and accommodation, recordings and performances
- Entry fee: USD 55 (USD 35 early bird before Feb 15, 2021)
The 3rd Zodiac International Music Competition aims to discover exceptional musical talent, both in performance and composition, from across the globe, and bring it to the stage of the Zodiac Music Academy & Festival in the South of France and New York.
The competition invites artists from all parts of the world to participate via recorded video submission (or score submission for composers).
PARTICIPATION VIA VIDEO (instrumentalist) OR SCORE (composers):
The lack of need to travel makes this opportunity available to artists who might not otherwise have the ability to compete, and opens it to a much wider array of musicians across the globe.
PERFORM IN THE SOUTH OF FRANCE:
Winning soloist will receive a cash prize and roundtrip airfare and accommodations to give a solo and chamber music recital on the French Riviera. The recital will be recorded and live-streamed.
COMMISSION PREMIERED IN SOUTHERN FRANCE AND NEW YORK (US)
The winning composer will be offered a commission to write for the internationally-recognized Zodiac Trio (founders of the Festival), or its individual members, as well as a cash prize. The work will be performed in New York, as well as at the Zodiac Music Academy & Festival in the South of France. The winning composer will also receive a professional video recording of the piece.
NEW! - PREMIERING WORKS ON YOUTUBE
As a response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Zodiac Trio (the competition founders) are launching a non-for-profit initiative that premieres short new works on YouTube.
- USD 500 Cash Prize;
- Recital (repertoire to be discussed on an individual case basis) at the Zodiac Music Academy & Festival;
- Roundtrip airfare to Nice, France from anywhere in the world, hotel accommodations, local transportation and meals;
- Audio/Video recording of the performance, as well as live-stream of the concert;
- Diploma & Trophy.
- USD 250 Cash Prize;
All ten finalists will be featured in an online concert, premiered on YouTube & Facebook on the Zodiac Music Academy & Festival channel on Saturday, April 3, 2021.
Applicants can choose which performance video from their application is to be featured for the concert.
- USD 500 Cash Prize;
- Commission to write a work (up to 10 min) for the Zodiac Trio (clarinet-violin-piano) or its individual members in any combination;
- World Premiere performance at the Zodiac Music Academy & Festival in France;
- Meals and Accommodations at the Zodiac Music Academy & Festival (for composers wishing to attend the performance);
- US Premiere in New York City;
- Professional Audio/Video recording of the performance;
- USD 250 Cash Prize;
- Professional Audio/Video recording of a work of the composer's choosing.*
All ten finalists in the composition category will be featured in an online concert, premiered on YouTube & Facebook on the Zodiac Music Academy & Festival channel on Saturday, April 10, 2021.
Composers can choose which works are to be featured for the concert. Should no video exists, images, the composer's headshot, score or other visuals can be used for the virtual concert.
*Piece for the Zodiac Trio instrumentation (Clarinet, Violin, Piano) or any combination of those instruments.
The competition is open to artists of any nationality, without age limit, in the following categories:
SOLOIST (following instruments):
STRINGS (Violin, Viola, Cello, Double Bass);
WINDS (Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon, Saxophone), and;
Interested applicants are invited to submit an online application, along with a short biography (250 word maximum) and a minimum of two (2) contrasting video samples, with a total viewing time not to exceed 30 minutes. Videos should be unedited, and offer a single continuous shot. Videos should be uploaded to YouTube, Vimeo or any other online video hosting service, and links sent as part of the application.
Composition applicants are asked to submit two (2) scores in PDF format, along with links to a SoundCloud recording (midi is acceptable).
The submissions will be judged in two rounds: preliminary and final, and will use a points-based system. 10 soloist and 10 composer finalists will be selected and published on the competition website by April 1st, 2020.
Final winners will be announced on April 15th, 2020 via email and will be posted on the competition website.
Application Deadline & Entrance Fee:
- Application deadline is March 15th, 2021. The application fee is USD 55.
- Early application deadline is February 1st, 2021. The application fee is USD 35.
In an effort to extend this opportunity to the widest possible pool of artists from all backgrounds and countries, and fully understanding that the current COVID situation has had devastating impact on many artists' financial situation, we offer a fee-waiver program for applicants whose financial situation does not allow them to afford the application fee. Potential applicants in such situations should email explaining your case to the committee in order to apply for a waiver.
FINALISTS WILL BE ANNOUNCED by April 1st, 2020
WINNERS WILL BE ANNOUNCED by April 15th, 2020
- February 15, 2021 - Early Application Deadline
- March 15, 2021 - Final Application Deadline
- April 1, 2021 - Finalists Announced
- April 3, 2021 - Virtual Concert Featuring Finalists in the Instrumentals Category
- April 10, 2021 - Virtual Concert Featuring Finalists in the Composition Category
- April 15th, 2021 - Winners Announced
The winning soloist will give a performance at the Zodiac Music Academy & Festival. Exact date of the recital will be discussed with the winner. The festival will provide the winning soloist with a collaborative pianist (if needed). The recital will include chamber music selections in collaboration with the festival's faculty and possibly students. Specific repertoire will be mutually agreed upon between the festival and the winner no later than June 1st. The Zodiac Music Academy & Festival is invited to perform at various venues on the Côte D'Azur. The exact venue for the winning recital will be specified at a later date.The winning recital will be broadcast live on Facebook, and posted on the website.
Winning Composer's Commission:
The winning composer will be invited to write a work (up to 10 minutes) for the Zodiac Trio, or its members. The work will receive its North American premiere in New York at a mutually agreed-upon time, and will receive its European premiere in France at the Zodiac Music Academy & Festival, which takes places every summer during the first week of July. Additionally, a professional video recording will be provided to the composer and promoted via social media on various platforms.
The festival will not provide airfare for the winning composer, however, should the composer choose to attend the performance, the festival will provide meals and accommodations during the duration of the composer's stay (maximum 3 days).
Contact: Zodiac International Music Competition
Phone: +33(6)03035409 (France)