ABC Fresh Start Fund
- Discipline/Field: Classical and jazz commissioning
- Deadline date: 12 Jun 2020 [Delivery Deadline]
- Location: Australia
- Total prizes: Commissioning fee (AUD 6,000), recording an mixing, broadcast and royalties
The ABC’s Fresh Start Fund provides urgent and critical support to independent Australian producers and safeguards local content and creativity in response to the unprecedented impact of COVID-19.
Funding streams include:
Australian Music Fund -
This funding stream offers practical support to emerging, underrepresented and professional Australian musicians and composers, in conjunction with existing initiatives across ABC national music networks such as triple j and ABC Classic.
a. ABC Classic and ABC Jazz Commissioning
What are we looking for?
This stream supports commissioning and recording of new Australian works that are suitable for extensive airplay on ABC Classic and ABC Jazz.
The creative brief requires the following considerations:
- The composition needs to be original. If it’s an arrangement, it needs to demonstrate substantial original creativity.
- The overall duration of the work is at your discretion. For longer works, there will need to be standalone segments or movements that can be broadcast within high audience programs (such as Classic Breakfast and Drive, and Jazz Mornings). Typically this will mean movements of up to five minutes in duration.
- Details of instrumentation are at your discretion.
- The work will need to be recordable in an ABC studio across a single day.
- If the work has a text or is an arrangement, you will need to secure and provide to the ABC written permission for its use.
- Works need to be notated in appropriate form for the collaborating musicians.
- If you are successful, you will be working with an ABC producer who will guide the project through to completion.
Who can apply?
- Individuals and companies.
- Each successful commission includes:
- A total fee of up to AUD 6,000 to cover writing a new work and recording musicians.
- A studio session at the ABC, including engineer and producer.
- Airplay for the completed recording on ABC Classic or ABC Jazz.
- Commercial digital release of the work via ABC Music, including a royalty return.
- Completed composition, meeting the creative brief.
- Musicians to record the work in an ABC studio, timeline to be agreed.
How do I apply?
Submit your proposal via the Fresh Start Fund Application Form including the following details in the proposal. We will follow up with selected applicants for additional details.
- A brief description of the project, including instrumentation. Explain how this work will meet the creative brief and suggest what programs on ABC Classic / ABC Jazz it would suit and why.
- A brief biography of the composer (150 words).
- A brief biography of the ensemble or performers who will record the work (maximum 300 words for ensemble or 150 words per performer).
- Proposed timeline including score delivery date and possible rehearsal/recording period.
- Capital city where the work would be recorded (Hobart, Adelaide, Perth, Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane).
- For selected projects we will require a brief letter from each party (composer and ensemble/ artists) confirming their commitment to the project. For clarity, the application must cover both the writing of a new work, and the musicians to record it.
Applications close 12 June 2020.
See the ABC Fresh Start website for further details on how to apply.
Contact: Australian Broadcasting Commission (ABC)