Albert H. Maggs Composition Award 2020
- Deadline date: 11 Oct 2020 [Delivery Deadline]
- Location: Australia
- Total prizes: AUD 10,000
- Entry restriction: Open to composers who have been resident in Australia for at least 2 years immediately preceding the last day of application for the award.
This award is provided as a commission for Australian composer who has been resident in Australia for at least 2 years to create a new musical work of a substantial nature. Whilst applications are open to all, this award is typically granted to composers of some experience and has a strong history of recipients from the professional field.
Applications open: 13 Jul 2020.
Last day for applications: 11 Oct 2020.
Eligibility & selection criteria:
To be eligible for this scholarship, you need to:
- be a composer who has been resident in Australia for at least 2 years immediately preceding the last day of application for the award. Previous awardees are eligible to apply. Whilst applications are open to all, this award is typically granted to composers of some experience and has a strong history of recipients from the professional field.
Applicants do not have to be students or alumni of the University of Melbourne.
As a condition of the award the successful candidate must agree:
- to submit to the selection committee within eighteen months of the announcement of the grant of the award a work of a serious nature ('the commissioned work'). The selection committee may, at its discretion, extend this period;
- to permit The University of Melbourne from time to time to borrow and to perform the commissioned work in public or otherwise without payment of any fee.
Selection will be made on the basis of documents including a list of works, overview of commissions, publications and performances, a copy of a score and matching recording of ONE composition you have written in the last three years.
Apply online via the link on the competition website (link is visible only during the application open phase).
When will I know the outcome?
Applicants can expect to receive an outcome 4 weeks after the closing date.
What are the benefits?
A payment of AUD 10,000 in total, comprising an initial award of AUD 7,000 and AUD 3,000 following submission of the composition to the Faculty of FIne Arts and Music library.
Contact: Faculty of Fine Arts and Music – University of Melbourne
Mailing Address: Grattan Street, Parkville, Victoria, 3010