"Luis Bacalov" International Composition Competition 2020 (1st edition)
- Deadline date: 22 Sep 2020 [Delivery Deadline] — Visit our current Opportunities for upcoming competitions, workshops and more.
- Date held: Sunday, November 15, 2020
- Location: Fusco Municipal Theatre, Taranto, Italy
- Total prizes: EUR 3,800, publication and performances
- Entry fee: EUR 80
- Anonymous entry: Yes
- Work duration: maximum duration of 15 minutes
The municipality of Taranto and the ICO Orchestra of Magna Grecia in collaboration with the Luis Bacalov Association announces the first edition of the "LUIS BACALOV" International Composition Competition which aims to represent a heartfelt and fitting tribute to one of the most important figures of international music of the last 60 years, Composer Luis Bacalov.
Principal Guest Conductor of the ICO Orchestra of Magna Grecia from 2005 until he died in 2017, the Italian-Argen- tine Maestro represented an irreplaceable human and artistic reference.
Inspired by his multifaceted musical production, the International Composition Competition aims to promote the creativity of composers from various cultural backgrounds. A special added feature of the event is that it is closely connected to the other, already exist- ing competition tied to the Magna Grecia Orchestra and its activity which is the "NINO ROTA" International Conducting Competition.
The two competitions will be biennial and alternating, and the works awarded in the "Luis Bacalov" International Composition Competition - 2020 edition may be taken into consideration for auditions for the "Nino Rota" International Conducting Competition - 2021 edition.
CONDITIONS OF APPLICATION:
Each edition of the "Luis Bacalov" International Composition Competition will be thematic. The 2020 edition theme is TANGO.
The competition is open to compos- ers of any nationality with no age limit. Each composer may participate with only one piece.
The composition presented by each candidate must have the following characteristics:
- 1. must meet the following criteria *: String Quintet (2 Vl - Vla - Vc - Cb) + Wind Quintet (Flute In C/Piccolo (one performer) Oboe/English Horn (one performer) B-flat Clarinet/Bass Clarinet (one performer) - Bassoon - Horn) and 2 percussionists (shaker, wind chimes, marimba, glockenspiel, bass drum, snare drum, suspended cymbals, slap- stick, wind machine/aeoliphone, n ° 3 toms, n ° 3 woodblock, cajòn, drum set);
- 2. must never have been performed in public concerts, nor released in any form through any channel whatsoever;
- 3. must never have been a candidate or won any prizes in other contexts nor been in any other competitions;
- 4. the maximum duration of 15 minutes;
* the present ensemble is therein defined, at the date of publication of this notice, in compliance with the "probable" health requirements following the COVID-19 health emergency, and which determine, for this edition, the choice of reducing the symphonic ensemble size down to the chamber ensemble music one of 12 people.
To participate, the following documentation must be submitted (points 1, 2, 3, 4) exclusively by filling out the enrollment form found on the website www.concorsoluisbacalov.it by 12:00 pm on Tuesday, September 22nd, 2020.
1. Enrollment form:
The enrollment form, duly completed, must contain:
- name and surname;
- place and date of birth;
- nationality and residence;
- telephone number and e-mail address;
- the title of the composition;
- a photocopy of an identification document;
- receipt of payment made.
the candidate must submit exclusively the following materials in electronic PDF format, which will be submitted to the attention of the Artistic Commission and which, under penalty of exclusion, shall not bear any sign that could lead to the recognition of the author.
- SHEET MUSIC of the composition (PDF - as a single file);
- INDIVIDUAL PARTS of the composition (PDF - one or more files);
- AUDIO RECORDING of the composi- tion, also deriving from the conversion of MIDI files (WAV, MP3, M4A, AIFF - as a single file).
the candidate must complete and sign a self-certification as per the form attached to the announcement, certifying the originality of the composition, which, under penalty of exclusion, has the following characteristics:
- must never have been performed in public concerts, nor released in any form through any channel whatsoever;
- must never have been a candidate nor won any prizes in other contexts and in other competitions.
It must also include authorization to record and broadcast the work, as well as to perform it in live performances, both during the "Luis Bacalov" International Composition Competition and the "Nino Rota" International Conduct- ing Competition with the obligation, in the event of selection in the final phase, to transfer the publishing rights to the Eleutheria Edizioni Musicali publishing house (www.eem-music.com).
4. Enrollment fee:
The candidate must attach the re- ceipt of payment of the enrollment fee of EUR 80 net of any transaction cost. See the competition flyer or entry form for payment details.
An e-mail will be sent to each candidate confirming receipt of enrollment, which will not guarantee formal suitability, but the sole attainment of enrollment for participation. Each composition received, once verified that it does not bear any sign that could lead to the recognition of the author, will be assigned an alphanumeric shell-code that will identify the composition anonymously up to the time of the AWARD CEREMONY in the Final Phase of the competition.
The Competition foresees an Eliminatory Phase and a Final Phase:
The compositions received and found suitable from a formal point of view, once anonymity has been verified, will be examined by a preliminary Artistic Commission chaired and nominated, among illustrious personalities of the ac- ademic world, by the Artistic Director of the Magna Grecia Orchestra, which will select up to a maximum of 6 composi- tions in number for the final phase. The secretariat of the competition, having verified the IDENTIFIER-COMPOSER CODE combinations, will inform the parties concerned via e-mail of the admission to the final phase of the Competition. Finalist composers are required to attend the final phase both in person and via online streaming.
The compositions selected for the final phase will be performed on the occasion of the evening devoted to the performances of the finalist pieces of the "Luis Bacalov" International Composition Competition to be held at the Fusco Municipal Theatre of Taranto on SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 15th, 2020 AT 7:30PM with the broadcast of the event in LIVE STREAMING on the Magna Grecia Orchestra digital channels (Facebook and Web).
On this evening the finalist compositions will be judged by the specially appointed QUALITY JURY composed of:
- Artistic Director of the ICO Magna Grecia Orchestra;
- Superintendent/Artistic Director of the Arturo Toscanini Foundation of Parma;
- A series of Renowned Composers, Conductors, and Musicians;
- Artistic Directors of Italian and international Orchestras.
The following prizes will be awarded:
BY THE QUALITY JURY:
- First prize: "LUIS BACALOV";
EUR 2,000 + performance during the Orchestra of Magna Grecia concert season 2021/2022 + performance during the Toscanini concert season 2021/2022 in Parma + publishing with the Eleutheria Edizioni Musicali publishing house.
- Second Prize:
EUR 800 + publishing with the Eleutheria Edizioni Musicali publishing house.
- Third Prize:
EUR 500 + publishing with the Eleutheria Edizioni Musicali publishing house.
BY THE PUBLIC JURY (public jury chaired by the Municipality of Taranto Cultural Affairs Councilor):
- Ma.Ta. Award:
EUR 300 (awarded via televoting after live streaming).
BY THE ORCHESTRA JURY:
- The "Magna Grecia" City of Taranto Award:
EUR 300 + possible inclusion in the "NINO ROTA" International Conducting Competition performance auditions - 2021 edition.
Decisions made by the Quality Jury, the Artistic Committee, the Public Jury, and the Orchestra Professors will be fi- nal and reserves the irrevocable right to not award one or more prizes. The finalist compositions that will not re- ceive any of the aforementioned prizes will receive a certificate + an attendance fee of EUR 150. All cash prizes will be paid by Bank Transfer.
Participation in the Competition implies unconditional acceptance of these Regulations. For any controversy, the city of Taranto will be the competent court.
Contact: Artistic secretary, Luis Bacalov Competition
Phone: +39 099.7304422
Mailing Address: Via Giovinazzi, 28 - 74123 - Taranto (TA), ITALIA