The Molinari Quartet's Eighth International Competition for Composition
- Discipline/Field: String quartet
- Deadline date: 1 Apr 2021 [Delivery Deadline]
- Date held: Announcement of winners: May 28 2021
- Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- Total prizes: CAD 6,000
- Entry fee: CAD 30
- Entry restriction: Candidates must be 40 years old or less as of April 1st 2021, the due date for registration
- Anonymous entry: Yes
- Work duration: The work must not exceed 20 minutes.
Through its Composition Competition, the Molinari Quartet wishes to encourage young composers to write for string quartet. Over the past centuries, the string quartet has become, thanks to the great masterpieces written for it, a highly valued but dreadful form to write for, for composers. But even today, in 2017, the string quartet is as alive and exciting as ever!
The Molinari Quartet contributes to the development of the string quartet literature by encouraging composers to send new original scores to its Competition.
The Molinari Quartet is pleased to announce its Eighth International Competition for Composition for string quartet.
Composers are invited to submit an original work for string quartet. The winning compositions will be played in concert during the Molinari Quartet's Twentieth and Beyond series to be held in Montreal (Quebec, Canada) during the 2021-2022 concert season.
The jury will be comprised of the Molinari Quartet's artistic director and its musicians, in addition to well-known Canadian composers, Denis Gougeon and Jimmie LeBlanc who will determine four winners. The winning compositions will be performed by the Molinari Quartet during a special concert during the 2021-2022 season. After the concert performance the jury will deliberate and choose the order of the winners. The First Prize winner shall receive a CA$3,000 grant as well as a silkscreen by renowned Canadian artist Guido Molinari. The second prize winner will receive a CA$2,000 grant and the third prize winner a CA$1,000 grant. The fourth finalist will receive an Honourable Mention. The jury reserves the right not to grant all prizes.
The winners will be invited to work with the Molinari Quartet prior to the winners’concert and to participate in the Dialogues sur le Plateau series, a public workshop of discussions and analysis produced by the Molinari Quartet.
Rules for Eligibility:
- Candidates must be 40 years old or less as of April 1st 2021, the due date for registration.
- The work must not exceed 20 minutes.
- Only works for string quartet that have neither been performed professionally nor published as of April 1st 2021 shall be accepted.
- Works having been performed in a pedagogical context (school, masterclass, workshop) by students and not a professional ensemble are eligible
- Works for quartet and electronics are accepted.
- Scores must be received by the Molinari Quartet at the latest April 1st (The post office stamp shall be recognized as the receiving date)
- Scores in pdf format are also accepted and must be received at the latest April 1st 2021 at the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- USB keys are also accepted
- Registration fees of CA$30 must accompany all scores. *
- A candidate may submit more than one work, but each work must be sent separately.
- Parts and scores shall remain the property of the Molinari Quartet.
- The candidate must send a full score.
- Separate parts should be sent by the winning composers to the Molinari Quartet by July 2021.
- All scores must be sent anonymously; only a pseudonym can appear on the score pages.
- The candidate shall also send an envelope or file with his or her pseudonym, name, postal address, e-mail address, telephone number, birth date, nationality (for statistics), resumé as well as a statement as to the fact that the work is yet unpublished and that it has never been performed professionally.
- The composer whose work has been chosen as one of the winning compositions, will not receive any extra payment for the execution or recording of the work.
- The winners of the competition commit themselves to find the necessary funding for a stay in Montreal to work with the Molinari Quartet and assist to the performance in the 2021-2022 season.
* The registration fees may be paid by cheque (to Molinari Quartet), Paypal (email@example.com) or cash. We also accept US dollars and Euros but you must add $5 to cover the bank’s conversion fees.
Competition Calendar :
Competition launch: September 2020
The due date for registration and receiving scores: April 1st 2021
Jury: May 2021
Announcement of winners: May 28 2021
Winners Concert: 2021-2022 season
Please send the scores to:
PDF by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Printed scores to:
P.O. Box 56536
Canada H1W 3Z3
For more information write to:
or call : 514-527-5515
Contact: Molinari Quartet
Phone: +1 (514) 527 5515
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 56536 Montreal, Quebec Canada H1W 3Z3