November 2016. Experienced composers/creative musicians are invited to submit an expression of interest for a unique opportunity to work with German jazz pianist Julia Kadel, as a part of AMC’s artist development framework, AMPlify.
Fully funded travel, accommodation, and a commission fee, are part of this initiative, made possible through a partnership between the Australian Music Centre and the APRA AMCOS SongHubs program.
AMPlify Germany offers the opportunity to produce new works in collaboration with Kadel for live presentation in 2017, with the potential for live performance and recording outcomes, and attendance at Jazzahead in Bremen in April 2017.
To lodge an EOI, you must:
• Be an APRA AMCOS member;
• Be a financial member of the AMC (if you aren’t, join up here);
• Have achieved professional experience and standing;
• Be available to work with Julia Kadel via Skype, spending a period of time in Germany in April 2017, including attendance at Jazzahead in Bremen 20-23 April 2017. A specific schedule will be negotiated with the artist selected, taking into account the project proposed.
Your EOI must contain the following:
• A short biography (max 300 words);
• Examples of your professional experience. Your professional experience may include commissions, performances by professional musicians, commercial recordings, residencies, etc. (max 100 words);
• A short outline of what you propose to do with this opportunity if it were offered to you. Be explicit about what you want to explore creatively, and provide some detail on the kind of work you envisage creating in this context (max 500 words);
• Examples of any previous collaborations, and evidence of your capacity to work collaboratively. Evidence might include letters of support from past collaborators;
• Links to your website, and SoundCloud, YouTube etc., particularly links to recent work;
• Your contact details, including email, mobile phone, home address.
> with no other attachments, by 5pm (AEDT) on Tuesday 31 January 2017. The successful applicant will be informed by end of February 2017.
This 3rd edition of the AMPlify (Art Music Plus) framework of artist development programs aims at providing an opportunity for a composer/creative musician with professional experience and standing to work with German jazz artist Julia Kadel, creating new work/s for live presentation, with the potential for recording outcomes.
Pianist Julia Kadel was born in Berlin in 1986. She began to play the piano at the age of seven and discovered her passion for jazz music only after years of classical training. After some studies in psychology at the Humboldt University of Berlin, she decided to devote her time to jazz and went on to study jazz piano at the University of Music Carl Maria von Weber in Dresden. She has released two albums on the Blue Note/Universal label with her piano trio Julia Kadel Trio: Im Vertrauen (2014) and Über und Unter (2016). Kadel was nominated twice for the German Jazz Echo 2015 in the categories Instrumentalist of the Year National Piano (as soloist) and Newcomer of the Year (with her Trio). In the same year her Trio was selected for the German jazz expo showcases at Jazzahead in Bremen.
Julia Kadel's musical range varies between the genres of contemporary jazz, free improvisation and new music. Kadel's music has been featured internationally in England, France, Italy, Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic, Russia and Turkey. Kadel is involved in many national and international projects, such as the new quartet 'Vor der Mauer/ Nach der Mauer' with German free-jazz legends Günter Baby Sommer (drums) and Friedhelm Schönfeld (saxophone/clarinet), and her duo with the French-Turkish cellist Anil Eraslan. Recent festival performances include festivals in Berlin, Strasbourg and Istanbul.
AMPlify framework provides creative development opportunities for artists to create new works, and to reach new audiences. AMPlify projects are based on the concept of cross-genre and/or cross-artform collaborations. This edition of AMPlify is supported through SongHubs, an APRA AMCOS initiative which partners Australian creators with international collaborators to create new works. This project is supported by funding from the Federal Government.
Applicants must be a member of APRA AMCOS, and a financial member of AMC. The participant is to be identified through a call for expressions of interest, with applicants pitching an idea of how they would exploit such an opportunity. An external panel appointed by AMC will assist in compiling a shortlist of EOIs, which is then presented to Julia Kadel to select the participant, potentially after Skype-meeting with each of the shortlisted composers.
Travel costs, accommodation, and a per diem for the selected participant will be covered by the project partners. A commission fee will be negotiated based on work/s proposed. Registration fees and associated expenses involved in attending Jazzahead in Bremen will also be covered.
If you have further questions about this program, please with message subject AMPlify GERMANY.