Resources for academics and teachers
Engage your students with music of our time and place
now available as ebooks
Andrew Ford's classic AMC education resource Inventing Music (1991) is now available as a free download, to celebrate the completion of our 2013-2015 Digitisation Project. (Read also Andrew's blog article about the kit.)
We've selected some archival AMC publications for reissue because of the continuing relevance of their content in the contemporary context. Soon to follow are ebooks of the three out-of-print Composer Speaks books (1991-1998), as well as the 1998 publication Australia - Exploring the musical landscape.
Dedicated teacher resource kits
Make teaching Australian music as easy as possible with our teacher resource kits specifically designed for secondary and tertiary education.
Kits include scores, recordings and booklets with activities designed by education specialists.
Research at your desk
The AMC online catalogue contains information on over 30,000 scores and recordings. For many works you will be able to find information such as overviews and program notes, details of commissions and awards, performance histories, available recordings and performance information such as difficulty and duration.
The online catalogue includes:
• Rich biographical information on over 600 composers
• 30 second audio samples for over 7,000 works
• Digital score samples for over 7,700 works
• Access to our digital library for members, with over 9,200 full scores available for perusal loan
Specially prepared repertoire lists
for youth ensembles
The AMC holds over 140 works for youth orchestra, and over 50 works for concert or wind band, varying in difficulty from easy to advanced.
Our library team have prepared easy to use lists of suitable works:
> Find music for youth orchestra
> Find music for concert band & wind band
For teachers with students studying the NSW HSC, our dedicated HSC page assists you to easily search our catalogue to find repertoire to meet syllabus requirements. For teachers and students in other states, these lists and other works in our extensive catalogue can enhance your performance repertoire with Australian content.
We are developing specific resources for VCE teachers, including recommended teaching resources by unit, and teaching examples, prepared by Helen Champion, the curriculum manager at the Performing Arts at Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority (VCAA).
AMC's Digital Score Library
- now over 9,200 scores available
The AMC's 2013-2015 Digitisation Project has made available an extensive range of resources for study and performance: over 13,000 digital scores, parts, audio files and images have been added to the collection. More than 9,200 scores can be borrowed digitally, and new scores are added every week.
> Watch a tutorial video about digital library loans.
> AMC membership enables you to access 30 digital scores per month (50 scores for school members. Become a member now. If you are joining on behalf of a school, please contact us on 1300 651 834 or by email.
Ask our Librarian
If you have a special request to help you in teaching Australian music, our specialist staff can help you identify resources. Use our Ask our Librarian form to submit your enquiry.
Current news and information
The AMC’s magazine, Resonate, is Australia's only specialist online magazine devoted to Australian composers, sound artists and their art form.
The publication features in-depth articles and discussion, blog articles, news and commentary; interviews with composers, sound artists and performers.
Purchase resource material online
The AMC website has many products available for purchase directly through the website, delivered to you:
• 12,900 scores and ensemble parts
• 3,400 CD recordings
• 1,700 digital MP3s available for immediate download
• education kits developed specifically for secondary and tertiary education
• resource books related to the Australian musical landscape
Exclusive benefits for members
Stay connected with Australia's vibrant new music scene by becoming a member of the Australian Music Centre:
• Borrow scores, CDs and books from the AMC collection, including nearly 8,000 scores available for online access in the digital library
• 10% discount on purchases of education kits, scores, CDs, books, and MP3s from the AMC
• Opportunities listing, including competitions, prizes and awards, workshops and funding opportunities
• Nominations rights for the annual Art Music Awards
• Voting rights at the AMC Annual General Meeting
• Members-only giveaways and special offers
• APRA member benefits card offering great deals in retail, travel, finance and insurance
Teaching at a school or a tertiary institution?
Find out more about membership for schools or institutions.