Eric Austin-Phillips : Associate Artist
- Browse works by Eric Austin-Phillips
- Browse commercial CDs featuring music by Eric Austin-Phillips
- Browse events featuring music by Eric Austin-Phillips
Date of Birth: 12th October, 1947
- Bachelor of Music (performance - piano) University of Melbourne.
- Diploma of Education - University of Melbourne.
- Licentiate of Music, Australia (flute).
- Associate of Trinity College of Music, London.
- Director of Music, Blackburn High School (2 years).
- Director of Music, University High School (13 years).
- Teacher of pianoforte (relieving) at Mac Robertson's Girls High School (during appointment to University High School).
Participation in Music Education:
- A member of Victorian Institute of Secondary Education committee for the subjects Music A and B. (Has served for three years longer than the maximum limit at the request of V.I.S.E.)
- Devised and became the examiner of the H.S.C. composition unit when it was part of the core examination.
- Is at present a co-ordinating examiner for Music A (practical).
- Has been a convenor of HSC moderation panels for music optional units since their inception.
- Was a foundation member of Melbourne Youth Music Council.
- Was the music consultant for South-Central Education Region for three years.
- Was a member of the Course Accreditation Committee for Victorian College at Burwood and is now a member of the Course Review Committee.
- Has been a member of the Australia Council to adjudicate on applications for grants to Youth Music projects.
- Has been an adjudicator for the Dandenong festival of Youth Music and Art in the areas of woodwind competition and composition for the past five years.
- Studied with Roger Norrington (Conductor of the Kent Opera, Great Britain).
- Has conducted orchestras and choirs in London, Cardiff, Edinburgh (at the festival), Paris, Orleans, Rome, Vienna, twenty cities in West Germany (sponsored by the Government of West Germany), Adelaide (National Music Camp) and Perth (National Music Camp).
- Conductor at the National Music Camp at the Geelong College.
- Was the first conductor of Melbourne Youth Orchestra.
- Has also conducted the Melbourne Chorale, Percy Grainger Youth Orchestra, Melbourne Youth Choir, Frankston Symphony Orchestra, Australian Mandolin Orchestra, Melbourne Mandolin Orchestra, Italian Festival Orchestra, Globe Opera Company and others.
- Studies with the British composer John McCabe.
- Has written (and had performed) over forty commissions for works for many musical organisations in Melbourne and elsewhere. A number of these were produced with the assistance of the Australia Council. Some of the commissioning bodies have been: - Victorian Government (150th celebration commission) - Melbourne Chorale (9 commissions) - Melbourne Youth Music Council (6 commissions) - Australian International Festival of Youth Music (4 commissions) - Melbourne Mandolin Orchestra (3 commissions) - Australian Mandolin Orchestra - Australian Choral Music Association (2 commissions) - Australian Airlines - Carlton and United Breweries (Television).
- Was awarded a Composer's Fellowship from the Australia Council to write music full-time for 12 months.
- Was awarded the Dorian Le Gallienne prize for Composition.
- Has three works published by:- Oxford University Press - Australian Music Examinations Board (AMEB) - Terra Australis.
- Works have been performed in: most states of Australia, as well as Italy, Austria, Britain, Germany, Russia, France, and USA.
- Was twice composer-in-residence for the National Music Camp Association.
- Has written music for ABC Radio and Television.
- Has had regular performances of compositions on ABC Radio, 2MBS-FM and ABC-TV.
- For a number of years served as assistant music reviewer for the Melbourne Herald
Biography provided by the composer