Flinders Quartet "The Offering"
- Date: Thursday, 29 September 2016, 7.00pm
- Venue: Salon - Melbourne Recital Centre — Cnr Southbank Blvd & Sturt St, Southbank, VIC
- Series: This event is part of the Flinders Quartet 2016 series
- Tickets: Adults: $50 | Children: $40 | Concession: $40 — Tickets can be purchased online or by phone on (03) 9699 3333
Commissioned by Chris Arnold and Margot Costanzo to commemorate their 60th birthdays, The Offering by Elena Kats-Chernin is her latest chamber work to hit the stage, and her first piano quintet. A friend of Flinders Quartet since 2005, Kats-Chernin and FQ have formed a strong bond through their music-making. Kats-Chernin says of Shostakovich: “His Preludes and Fugues are a constant on my piano at home”. And Greenbaum writes of Brahms: “I continue to be mesmerised by the harmonic progressions of Brahms.” This exploration of the string quartet’s lineage epitomises FQ’s journey in 2016, celebrating the addition of two new works to the string quartet canon.
ELENA KATS-CHERNIN Piano Quintet No. 1 The Offering *
SHOSTAKOVICH String Quartet No. 5 in B flat major, Op. 92
STUART GREENBAUM 4 before (and after) 5 ^
BRAHMS Piano Quintet in F minor, Op. 34
* Premiere, commissioned by Flinders Quartet with support from Chris Arnold and Margot Costanzo
^ Premiere, commissioned by Flinders Quartet
Featured non-Australian music: Shostakovich, Brahms
Featured Australian Works
|4 before (and after) 5 : string quartet by Stuart Greenbaum|
— performed by Flinders Quartet
|Piano quintet no. 1 : The offering by Elena Kats-Chernin|
— performed by Benjamin Martin and Flinders Quartet
User reviews & comments
Be the first to share your thoughts, opinions or insights about this event.
To post your comment please login