- Date: Friday, 10 July 2009, 8:30pm
- Venue: The Sound Lounge — Seymour Theatre Centre, Cnr City Rd and Cleveland St, Chippendale, NSW
- Series: This event is part of the SIMA'09 series
- Tickets: $20 / $15 — Tickets can be purchased by phone on (02) 9351 7940
In a group where the medieval meets the avant-garde, Gest8 expertly combines rhythm, horns, electronics and the contemporary sounds of free improvisation, jazz and African grooves with the traditional Japanese flavours of the koto. The brainchild of Sandy Evans and Tony Gorman, Gest8 explores new sounds in improvisation and jazz – as evident on their acclaimed debut CD, Kaleidoscope. Extraordinary both for its unique instrumentation (including koto and electronics) and for the undeniable virtuosity of each player, Gest8 is a distinctively Australian ensemble with an unusual blend of ancient and modern sounds. The medieval meets the avant-garde through this band’s creative processes, stimulating musicianship and camaraderie.
This is one of the most interesting and unusual jazz performances you are likely to hear for some time – don’t miss it!
Further information for this event is available online at the event's website
- Jazz/improvisation by Sandy Evans
- Jazz/improvisation by Tony Gorman
- Jazz/improvisation by Simon Barker
- Jazz/improvisation by Paul Cutlan
- Jazz/improvisation by Carl Dewhurst
- Jazz/improvisation by Steve Elphick
- Jazz/improvisation by Satsuki Odamura
- Jazz/improvisation by Phil Slater
- Jazz/improvisation by Greg White
- Music of Sandy Evans
- Music of Tony Gorman
- Music of Carl Dewhurst
User reviews & comments
Be the first to share your thoughts, opinions or insights about this event.
To post your comment please login