Eric Austin-Phillips : Associate Artist
- Browse works by Eric Austin-Phillips
- Browse recordings available to purchase featuring music by Eric Austin-Phillips
- Browse events featuring music by Eric Austin-Phillips
Date of Birth: 12th October, 1947
- Bachelor of Music (performance - piano) University of Melbourne
- Diploma of Education - University of Melbourne
- Licentiate of Music, Australia (flute)
- Associate of Trinity College of Music, London
- Director of Music, Blackburn High School (2 years)
- Director of Music, University High School (30 years)
Participation in music education
- Was a foundation member of Melbourne Youth Music Council
- Has been a member of the Australia Council to adjudicate on applications for grants to youth music projects
- Has been an adjudicator for the Dandenong festival of Youth Music and Art in the areas of woodwind competition and composition for the past five years
- Studied with Sir Roger Norrington
- Has conducted orchestras and choirs in London, Cardiff, Edinburgh (at the festival), Paris, Orleans, Rome, Vienna, 20 cities in West Germany (sponsored by the Government of West Germany), Adelaide (National Music Camp) and Perth (National Music Camp).
- Conductor at the National Music Camp at the Geelong College.
- Was the first conductor of Melbourne Youth Orchestra.
- Has also conducted the Melbourne Chorale, Percy Grainger Youth Orchestra, Melbourne Youth Choir, Frankston Symphony Orchestra, Australian Mandolin Orchestra, Melbourne Mandolin Orchestra, Italian Festival Orchestra, Globe Opera Company and others.
- Studies with the British composer John McCabe
- Has written (and had performed) over forty commissions for works for many musical organisations in Melbourne and elsewhere. A number of these were produced with the assistance of the Australia Council. Some of the commissioning bodies have been: Victorian Government (150th celebration commission); Melbourne Chorale (9 commissions); Melbourne Youth Music Council (6 commissions); Australian International Festival of Youth Music (4 commissions); Melbourne Mandolin Orchestra (3 commissions); Australian Mandolin Orchestra; Australian Choral Music Association (2 commissions); Australian Airlines; Carlton and United Breweries (Television)
- Was awarded a Composer's Fellowship from the Australia Council
- Was awarded the Dorian Le Gallienne prize for composition
- Has works published by Oxford University Press, Australian Music Examinations Board (AMEB), Terra Australis and Warner/Chappell
- Works have been performed in most states of Australia as well as Italy, Austria, Britain, Germany, Russia, France, and the USA
- Was twice composer-in-residence for the National Music Camp Association
- Has written music for ABC Radio and Television.
- Has had performances of compositions on ABC Radio, 2MBS-FM and ABC-TV
- For a number of years served as assistant music reviewer for the Melbourne Herald
Recent works include
- The Melbourne Symphony, performed by The Melbourne Youth Orchestra and recorded by ABC radio.
- Psalm 150 for chorus and orchestra. Recorded by 3MBS radio.
- Five Australian Landscapes, a song cycle recorded by ABC radio.
- Suite for Piano
- Seven Menuettes [songs about food] for Children's unison voices and orchestra [or piano]
- Cinderella Dressed In Yella for two part voices and orchestra.
- The Hobbiton Suite for junior strings, harp/piano and percussion.
- 100 Days - Cantata for chorus, baritone solo and orchestra.
- Two Songs Without Words, S.A.T.B. Choir.
- A Fish Tryptich [Alice In Wonderland poems] for S.A.T.B. Choir and piano solo.
- Sing Ho! For The Life Of A Bear, S.A.T.B. Choir.
Eric Austin-Phillips — current to June 2013
Awards & Prizes
|1971||Dorian le Gallienne Composition Award||Recipient|