Newcastle Conservatorium Community Flute and Composition Day
- Date: Saturday, 17 September 2016, 3pm - 9pm
- Venue: Harold Lobb Concert Hall, Newcastle Conservatorium of Music — Newcastle Conservatorium of Music, Laman St, Newcastle, NSW
- Tickets: General: $20 (workshop day) | Tickets for the concert sold separately via Ticketek. — Tickets can be purchased online or by phone on (02) 4921 8900
A collaboration of workshops, ensemble playing, masterclass and performance specialised for flautists and composers.
- Esti Rofé, Principal Flautist of the Israeli Camerata Jerusalem, giving a masterclass.
- Newcastle Conservatorium Community Flute teachers Nicole Sherringham and Katie Higgins taking flute ensembles (two groups: grades 1-5, grades 6 and above), supported by Aaron Rothemund (Upper Hunter Conservatorium Flute teacher).
- Colin Spiers (University of Newcastle Head of composition) and Newcastle Alumnus Composer William Jeffery will give a composition workshop.
- Composer Elena Kats-Chernin will give a presentation of her works/processes followed by a Q&A - a chance to ask her your own question and we will show a video of Sally Whitwell also talking about her music as she is unable to attend in person.
We finish with the evening performance by the Newcastle Youth Orchestra with works by Antonín Dvořák, Sally Whitwell, William Jeffery and Elena Kats-Chernin's Concerto for Sally Walker with Sally as soloist, a concert with the conducting shared between David Thompson and Mark Shiell (who conducted the Melbourne Performance of the Concerto last year).
Program ~ Saturday 17 September
3.00pm Official Flute & Composition Day welcome and overview (Foyer)
3.05pm Flute participants break into two ensemble groups led by Nicole Sherringham and Katie Higgins (Concert Hall / CON118)
3.05pm Composition Workshop with Colin Spiers and William Jeffery (Peter Martin Studio)
3.45pm Flute Ensembles' presentation of rehearsed works (Concert Hall)
4.00pm Composition Presentation with Elena Kats-Chernin followed by q & a with Elena, hosted by Colin Spiers (Concert Hall)
5.00pm Flute Masterclass with Esti Rofe, visiting from Israel Camerata Jerusalem (CON118)
Tickets for the Community Flute and Composition Day are $20.00 per person
Following the Community Flute & Composition Day
7.00pm Newcastle Youth Orchestra (NYO) Concert ~ joined by special guest Sally Walker, Newcastle Youth Orchestra will perform “Night and Now”, the flute Concerto especially composed for Sally by Elena Kats –Chernin. Hunter Singers will join to perform in a newly commission work thanks to the NSW Arts Unit, by Sally Whitwell and local composer William Jeffery revises his 2014 commission #NYOLO (Concert Hall).
Featured non-Australian music: Dvorak
User reviews & comments
Be the first to share your thoughts, opinions or insights about this event.
To post your comment please login