History of jazz in Australia.
History of Jazz in Australia. (AHS 05 - 2 CDs) with 59-page
Australia has made a major contribution to the international jazz scene. With recordings dating from between 1925 and 1989, this compilation provides a comprehensive overview of the development of the genre in Australia. Compiled and with booklet by Ron Wills OAM, a key figure in the Australian recording industry for half a century. A reviewer and critic of jazz for Music Maker and Tempo from 1930-52, he worked for Columbia Records from 1940, EMI from 1950, and RCA from 1964-78. His collection of jazz 78 rpm records is now in the National Film and Sound Archive of Australia.
* Ray Tellier's San Francisco Orchestra, Yes Sir That's My Baby (1925)
* Sidney Simpson and his Wentworth Cafe Orchestra, Freshie (1926)
* The Palais Royal Californians, Milenberg Joys (1926)
* Al Hammett and his Ambassadors Orchestra, How Could Red Riding Hood (1926)
* Jim Davidson and his New Palais Royal Orchestra, Forty-Second Street and Original Dixieland One Step (1933)
* Frank Coughlan and his Trocadero Orchestra, It Don't Mean a Thing (1937)
* Dudley Cantrell and his Grace Grenadiers, Harlem Heat (1937)
* Don Roberts' Wolf Gang, Ja Da (1943)
* Graeme Bell's Dixieland Six, Georgia Bo Bo (1944)
* George Trevare's Jazz Group, Back to Croajingalong (1945)
* Graeme Bell and his Dixieland Band, Smoky Mokes (1947)
* Lazy Ade and his Backroom Jazz, The Jazz Parade (1947)
* The Southern Jazz Group, Red Hot Henry Brown (1947)
* Les Welch and his 8 Beat Boys, King's Cross Boogie (1949)
* Frank Coughlan and his Lucky Seven, That Da Da Strain (1950)
* Rex Stewart and his Sydney Six, Oh! Lady be Good (1949)
* Frank Johnson and his Fabulous Dixielanders, Daily Jazz (1950)
* Wocka Dyer and his Bacchanalians, Ice Cream (1950)
* The Barrelhouse Jazz Band, Ole Broke-Up Stomp (1949)
* Graeme Bell and his Australian Jazz Band, Nog's March (1952)
* The Paramount Jazz Band, S.O.L. Blues (1956)
* The Port Jackson Jazz Band, I'm Confessin' that I Love You (1957)
* The Music Maker All Stars, Ockeration (1957)
* The Australian All Stars, Ka Link (1959)
* Bob Gibson and his Orchestra, Theme from McRobertsonland (1960)
* The Bob Gibson Sextet, Old Gold (1960)
* The Three Out, Little Niles (1960)
* The Errol Buddle Quartet, In Vino Veritas (1963)
* Frank Coughlan and his Dixielanders, When the Saints go Marching In (1965)
* Graeme Bell and his All-Stars, A Brown Slouch Hat (1967)
* The Bernie McGann Quartet, Spirit Song (1967)
* Galapagos Duck, Rhino Rag (1985)
* Merv Acheson and his Mainstreamers, If I Had You (1986)
* The Dave Dallwitz Sydney Big Band, Milenberg Joys (1986)
* The Don Burrows Quintet, Now is the Time (1986)
* The George Golla Orchestra, Don't Get Around Much Any More (1986)
* The Morrison Brothers Big Bad Band, A Night in Tunisia and Stompin' at the Savoy (1984)
* The Dave Dallwitz Good Time Jazz Orchestra, Wagga Wagga (1989).
Contents note: Disc 1: Yes sir that's my baby / Ray Tellier's San Fransisco Orchestra -- Freshie / Sidney Simpson and his Wentworth Cafe Orchestra -- Milenberg joys / The Palais Royal Californians -- How could Red Riding Hood / Al Hammett and his Ambassadors Orchestra -- Forty Second Street ; Original Dixieland One Step / Jim Davidson and his New Palais Royal Orchestra -- It don't mean a thing / Frank Coughlan and his Trocadero Orchestra -- Harlem heat / Dudly Cantrell and his Grace Grenadiers -- Ja da / Don Roberts' Wolf Gang -- Georgia Bo Bo / Graeme Bell's Dixieland Six -- Back to Croajingalong / George Trevare's Jazz Group -- Smokey Mokes / Graeme Bell and his Dixieland Band -- The jazz parade / Lazy Ade and his Backroom Jazz -- Red Hot Henry Brown / The Southern Jazz Group -- Kings' Cross boogie / Les Welch and his 8 Beat Boys -- That da da strain / Frank Coughlan and his Lucky Seven -- Oh! Lady be good / Rex Stewart and his Sydney Six -- Daily jazz / Frank Johnson and his Fabulous Dixielanders -- Ice cream / Wocka Dyer and his Bacchanalians -- Ole broke-up stomp / The Barrelhouse Jazz Band -- Nog's march / Graeme Bell and his Australian Jazz Band -- S.O.L. blues / The Paramount Jazz Band -- I'm confessin' (That I love you) / The Port Jackson Jazz Band -- Disc 2: Ockeration / The Music Maker All Stars -- Ka link / The Australian All Stars -- Theme from McRobertsonland / Bob Gibson and his Orchestra -- Old gold / Bob Gibson Sextet -- Little niles / The Three Out -- In vino veritas / The Errol Buddle Quartet -- When the saints go marching in / Frank Coughlan and his Dixielanders -- A brown slouch hat / Graeme Bell and his All-Stars -- Spirit song / Bernie McGann Quartet -- Rhino rag / Galapagos Duck -- If I had you / Merv Acheson and his Mainstreamers -- Milenberg joys / The Dave Dallwitz Sydney Big Band -- Now is the time / Don Burrows Quintet -- Don't get around much anymore / George Golla Orchestra -- A night in Tunisia ; Stompin' at the Savoy / Morrison Brothers Big Bad Band -- Wagga Wagga / Dave Dallwitz Good Time Jazz Orchestra.
This product forms part of the following series: Soundabout Australia series.
Liner notes include notes on the recordings and performers.
Includes original recordings made between 1925 and 1989.
Be the first to share your thoughts, opinions and insights about this item.
To post a comment please login