Sheet Music: Performance Parts
On Bunyah : tenor, string quartet, piano / Luke Styles.
by Luke Styles (2018)
This new song cycle for tenor Mark Padmore (and the Britten Sinfonia in a chamber formation of string quartet and piano) sets a series of 10 poems by Australian poet Les Murray, from his most recent collection, On Bunyah.
The cycle charts a loose narrative and progression of themes, where the tenor can be identified as a 'poet farmer' character. This central figure gives voice to many aspects of Australia (the bush, land, kangaroos, fire, death, machinery and the 20th/21st Century) without sentimentality. The distinctive Australian flavour of this collection of poems embraces the similar experiences and challenges of other rural communities with the 'poet farmer' functioning as both a rural and modern day 'every-man'.
Published by: Australian Music Centre (under licence from G.Schirmer Australia) — 1 set of 5 performance parts (163p. -- A4 (portrait))
Duration: 30 mins
1. The Kettle's Bubble-Making Floor -- 2. Being Spared the Inquest -- 3. The Grief -- 4. The Moon Man -- 5. The Iron Kitchens -- 6. The Sleepout 7. Worker Knowledge -- 8. The Forest Hit by Modern Use -- 9. From Machine Portraits -- 10. Cockspur Bush.
Commissioned by Britten Sinfonia.
Shortlisted for the 2019 Paul Lowin Prize. It received a high commendation.
This edition produced 8 Mar 19.
This work is also available in the following products:
- Browse other works published by Australian Music Centre (under licence from G.Schirmer Australia)
- Browse other works for Tenor with chamber ensemble
- Browse other works by Luke Styles
Analysis & Media
- Resonate Article: 2019 Paul Lowin Prizes - finalists announced
Be the first to share your thoughts, opinions and insights about this item.
To post a comment please login