Transplanted musical traditions in Australia.
Transplanted Music Traditions in Australia (2 CDs)
Transplanted Music Traditions in Australia (AHS 06 - 2 CDs) with 72-page booklet. Traditional musical traditions which have been transplanted to Australia, compiled and with booklet by Peter Parkhill. After singing traditional English, Scottish and Anglo-Australian traditional song, he began collecting the music of various ethnic groups in Sydney. He then studied anthropology and musicology at the University of Sydney. Assisted by grants from the Australia Council, he has prepared programs on traditional music for the ABC and has published in Meanjin.
* Skaros: Chris Fakos, santouri (hammer dulcimer); Chris Karkanakis, violin; Haralambos Fakos, klarino (clarinet)
* The Patris: Spiros Meidanis, laouto; Tassos Krestas, vocals; A. Papagiannopoulos, violin; Christos Pistevos, clarinet; A. Frangkou, accordion; I. Tsirouphlis, guitar
* Latino America (original composition by Justo Diaz): performed by Diaz's band, Papalote - Justo Diaz, guitar, bombo (large, hide-covered drum), charango (small plucked lute, fashioned from the shell of an armadillo); Olympia Karanges, zampogna (pan pipes); Elias Pebaque, percussion, bongos
* Adio Calabria Mia: Terra Mia (My Land), Adelaide group - voices, guitars, mandolin
* Waltz: Giovanni Celima, organetto (accordion)
* Were You at Carrick: Eileen Loughnane, voice
* You Keep Me Awake: Said Hajal, 'ud, vocals; Mounhir Khassabien, accordion; Bassam Fadul, violin; Nicola Boulos, darbukkha
* Jovano Jovanke: Melbourne Macedonian Women's Choir led by Anna and Rita Vasileva
* Kaval solo: Chris Vasilev, kaval (flageolet)
* Samba de Angola: Tunari, traditional Latin ensemble
* Mantinadhes: Kon Tsourdalakis, lyra; Giorgos Tsourdalakis, laouto
* Prejjem: Joe Engerer, lead guitar; Vince Pulo, lead guitar; Gary Camilleri, harmony guitar; Manuel Casha, harmony guitar
* Tonight You Deserted Me: Apodimi Compania, Melbourne based rebetika ensemble with singer, Rena Hatzilepou
* Composition for a Friend: Le Tuan Hung, dan tranh (Vietnamese plucked zither).
* An Bannan Bui: Declan Affley, guitar, voice
* Theme from The Pudding: Cast of The Pudding - instrumentalists, singers
* Slowly Dying in a Foreign Land: Thimios Statholopoulos, bouzouki, vocals
* First Set of The Lancers: Reg Anning, button accordion
* Ceol Beag (light highland bagpipe music): Lachlan MacCabe, highland bagpipes.
* Loum Neang (Wedding song): Sydney Cambodian Music Ensemble
* Taqsim, Mawaal (song): Clovice Ghuntous, 'ud; J. Jammal, organ; Osman Shams el-Din, vocals, darbukkha, daf
* Magpie: John Harb, Joseph Harb and family, vocals
* North Indian folk melodies: Ilyas Sheikh, flageolet; Afroz Koya, tabla
* The Southern Cross is Calling Me: Joseph Paolacci, guitar, mandolin, vocals
* Schottische: Bill Fechner, accordion
* I Drank Milk and Burnt my Tongue: Anatolian Minstrels - various kinds of saz, finger cymbals, hand drum, vocals
* Irish Jig set (The Idle Road, Tatter Jack Welsh, The Clare Jig): The Celtic Inheritance Group
* Tarantella: Aldo D'Amico, organetto (accordion)
* Syu Sydney: Orhan Gazi, divan saz, accompanied by darbuka, finger cymbals, wooden spoons
* Toss the Feathers and other Irish reels: Louis MacManus, fiddle; John Fitzgerald, banjo; Stephen Cooney, didjeridu.
* Kalaidjisko: Svetlost, Macedonian music and dance ensemble
* Rag Mishra Pilu: Ashok Roy, sarod; Parthasaraty Mukherjee, tabla; Adrian MacNeil, tanpurat
Duration: 133 min.
Contents note: Disc 1: Skaros / trad. Greek -- The patris / Spiros Meidanis -- Latino America / Justo Diaz -- Adio Calabria mia / Rocco Minci -- Waltz / trad. Italian -- Were you at Carrick / trad. Irish -- You keep me awake / 20th century Arabic -- Jovano Jovanke / trad. Macedonian -- Kaval solo / trad. Macedonian improvisation -- Samba de Angola / trad. Brazilian -- Mantinadhes / trad. Cretan -- Prejjem / trad. Maltese -- Tonight you deserted me / trad. Greek -- Composition for a friend / Le Tuan Hung -- An bannan bui / trad. Irish -- Theme from The Pudding / Louis MacManus -- Slowly dying in a foreign land / Thimios Stathopoulos -- First set of The Lancers / trad. British -- Ceol beag / A. Ferguson, trad. Scottish -- Disc 2: Loum neang / trad. Cambodian wedding song -- Taqsim, Mawaal / example of Arabic popular music -- Magpie / John Harb -- North Indian folk melodies / trad. North Indian -- The Southern Cross is calling me / Joseph Paolacci -- Schottische / trad. German -- I drank milk and burnt my tongue / trad. Anatolian -- Irish jig set / trad. Irish -- Tarantella / trad. Italian -- Syu Sydney / Orhan Gazi -- Toss the feathers and other Irish reels / trad. Irish -- Kalaidjisko / trad. Macedonian -- Rag mishra pilu / trad. Northern Indian.
This product forms part of the following series: Soundabout Australia series.
Capture session: includes recorded performances drawn from various sources (ABC, National Library, private collections).
Two booklets included. Booklet 1 contains an essay by Peter Parkhill, titled 'Transplanted Music Traditions in Australia', and select bibliography. Booklet 2 contains program notes, notes on the composers and performers and song texts in English.
Performers: Chris Fakos (santouri: Skaros) ; Chris Karkanakis (violin: Skaros) ; Haralambos Fakos (clarinet: Skaros) ; Spiros Meidanis (laouto: The patris) ; Tassos Krestas (vocals: The patris) ; A. Papagiannopoulos (violin: The patris) ; Christos Pistevos (clarinet: The patris) ; A. Frangkou (accordion: The patris) ; I. Tsirouphlis (guitar: The patris) ; Papalote (Latino America) ; Justo Diaz (guitar, bombo, charango: Latino America) ; Olympia Karanges (zampogna: Latino America) ; Elias Pebaque (percussion, bongos: Latino America) ; Terra Mia (Adio Calbria mia) ; Giovanni Celima (organetto: Waltz) ; Eileen Loughnane (Were you at Carrick) ; Said Hajal ('ud, vocals: You keep me awake) ; Mounhir Khassabien (accordion: You keep me awake) ; Bassam Fadul (violin: You keep me awake) ; Nicola Boulos (darbukkha: You keep me awake) ; Melbourne Macedonian Women's Choir (Jovano Jovanke) ; Anna and Rita Vasileva (conductors: Jovano Jovanke) ; Chris Vasilev (kaval: Kaval solo) ; Tunari (Samba de Angola) ; Kon Tsourdalakis (lyra: Mantinadhes) ; Giorgos Tsourdalakis (laouto: Mantinadhes) ; Joe Engerer (lead guitar: Prejjem) ; Vince Pulo (lead guitar: Prejjem); Gary Camilleri (harmony guitar: Prejjem) ; Manuel Casha (harmony guitar: Prejjem) ; Apodimi Compania (Tonight you deserted me) ; Le Tuan Hung (dan tranh: Composition for a friend) ; Declan Affley (guitar, voice: An bannan bui) ; Cast of The Pudding (Theme from The Pudding) ; Thimios Stathopoulos (bouzouki, vocals: Slowly dying in a foreign land) ; Reg Anning (button accordion: The lancers) ; Lachlan MacCabe (highland bagpipes: Ceol beag) ; Sydney Cambodian Music Ensemble (Loum neang) ; Clovice Ghuntous ('ud: Taqsim, Mawaal) ; J. Jammal (organ: Taqsim, Mawaal) ; Osman Shams el-Din (vocals, darbukkha, daf: Taqsim, Mawaal) ; John Harb, Joseph Harb and family (vocals: Magpie) ; Ilyas Sheikh (flageolet: North Indian folk melodies) ; Afroz Koya (tabla: North Indian folk melodies) ; Joseph Paolacci (guitar, mandolin, vocals: The Southern Cross is calling me) ; Bill Fechner (accordion: Schottische) ; Anatolian Minstrels (I drank milk and burnt my tongue) ; The Celtic Inheritance Group (Irish jig set) ; Aldo d'Amico (organetto: Tarantella) ; Orhan Gazi (divan saz: Syu Sydney) ; Louis MacManus (fiddle: Toss the feathers and other Irish reels) ; John Fitzgerald (banjo: Toss the feathers and other Irish reels) ; Stephen Cooney (didjeridu: Toss the feathers and other Irish reels) ; Svetlost (Kalaidjisko) ; Ashok Roy (sarod: Rag mishra pilu) ; Parthasaraty Mukherjee (tabla: Rag mishra pilu) ; Adrian MacNeil (tanpurat: Rag mishra pilu).
Be the first to share your thoughts, opinions and insights about this item.
To post a comment please login