Lesleigh Thompson : Associate Artist
Date of Birth: 8th November, 1966
Place of Birth: Bulawayo, Rhodesia, Africa
Qualifications and Education:
- Higher School Certificate in Biology, Chemistry, English, Music A and Music B: Ballarat and Queens Anglican Grammar School, 1983.
- Associate of Music in pianoforte, 1983.
- Bachelor of Music, majoring in composition, with first class honours: The University of Melbourne, 1991.
- Master of Music in composition and research, due to be completed in February 1994: The University of Melbourne.
- Ph.D., researching symphonic Australian film music in the 1950s and 1960s, due to commence February 1994: The University of Melbourne.
Scholarships and Awards:
- Australian College of Education Music Project Master-Classes Scholarship, enabling me to study pianoforte with Professor Max Cooke in 1981, and Professor Ronald Farren-Price in 1982, at the University of Melbourne.
- Dame Ashton Scholarship presented by the Ladies Art Association in Ballarat, for achievement in composition, 1982.
- New Audience Award for composition, Melbourne, 1990.
- Selection through international competition to attend the 'June in Buffalo' Music Festival/Conference run by the State University of New York at Buffalo, USA, where my work Sphygmus received performance, 1993.
- Selection to participate in the 1994 National Orchestral Composers' School to be held in Tasmania next August.
- 1993 Albert H. Maggs Award for composition, Melbourne.
- Postgraduate HECS scholarship 1992 and 1993, The University of Melbourne.
- The University of Melbourne School of Music, part-time tutor and casual lecturer.
- The University of Melbourne
Dr Brenton Broadstock, 1989-93
Mr Graeme Gerrard, 1989-92
Dr Barry Conyngham, 1989
Mr Julian Yu, 1993
- Visiting Composers
Mr John McCabe (English), March 1991
Mr Michael Smetanin (Australian), August 1991
Dr Richard Mills (Australian), April 1992
Professor Donald Erb (American), May 1992
Professor Donald Freund (American), July to August 1992
- University of New York at Buffalo
Professor Donald Erb, June 1993
Professor Bernard Rands, June 1993
Professor Charles Wuorinen, June 1993
Professor David Felder, June 1993
Other memberships or activities of relevance
- Active member of the composition and business committees (1992-93), and editorial committee (1993) of Context, the Postgraduate Journal of The University of Melbourne School of Music.
- Student representative on the Research and Postgraduate Studies Committee, The University of Melbourne, 1993.
- Active member of the organisational and programming committees for the Second National Composing Women's Festival, to be held in Melbourne, 1994.
- Member of the Australian Music Centre.
- Represented composer at the Australian Music Centre.
- Member of the Contemporary Performers' and Composers' Fellowship.
Broadcasts and Publications
- MBS-FM, PBS-FM, and Adelaide stations.
- Enost for string quartet published in Context, issue 4 1992, The University of Melbourne.
- Sphygmus for pianoforte, pending publication in Amalgamate Sound 1993, University of San Diego, USA.
Performances and workshops:
Include those given by Elizabeth Davies (English percussionist), Barrie Webb (English trombonist), John McCabe (English composer and pianist), David Laughton (Australian pianist), Craig George (Austral
Biography provided by the composer — current to September 2005