SITU-8 Commissions: Composer Call Out
- Deadline date: 22 Sep 2020 [Registration Deadline] — Visit our current Opportunities for upcoming competitions, workshops and more.
- Date held: October - November 2020
- Location: Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Tura, in partnership with STRUT Dance and the State Theatre Centre of WA, present SITU-8: a new commissioning opportunity for artists interested in site-based creativity. SITU-8 is a celebration of the State Theatre Centre as the home of contemporary dance in Perth, WA.
SITU-8 will comprise eight new commissions produced under the leadership of WA independent artists Serena Chalker and Geordie Crawley.
EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
Tura is seeking expressions of interest from composers to take part in this venue-wide activation of the State Theatre Centre of WA in November 2020. We are looking for artists interested in site-responsive compositional practice and presentation outside of traditional theatre spaces. A fusion of dance, music and location, the audience will be taken on a self-guided journey of discovery through a vital community site in an unfamiliar way. Composers who have been included in successful choreographer applications will be matched with this choreographer if successful. If this is not the case, composers will be matched with choreographers at the discretion of the selection panel. Composers can perform live as part of this project, however, performance fees for this will aspect need to be negotiated with your choreographer.
- Rehearsals: Oct/Nov – TBA with SITU-8 leaders and in collaboration with your allocated choreographer
- Performances: Nov 27 & 28 – 6:30-9pm (TBC)
- As a participating composer, you will receive rehearsal time at the State Theatre Centre of WA, video documentation of your work, and a fee of $800 for producing a score or live performance of 6-8 minutes.
- Receive production and technical support for the presentation of the work in negotiation with Tura New Music, the Production Manager and curatorial team.
- Receive dramaturgical guidance from the SITU-8 leaders where necessary.
Please fill out the online form with the information below.
- A clear EOI (350 words maximum) demonstrating your interest in and curiosity for site-based creativity and your desire to make new work. Please include your experience as a composer working with dance and other art forms.
- Current biography including links to 2-3 audio examples of work (1 page PDF upload).
EOI Opens: Tuesday 15 September 2020
Closes: Midnight Tuesday 22 September 2020
Notification: Week commencing 29 September 2020
Your EOI will be reviewed by a panel of stakeholders including SITU-8 leaders, and representatives from Tura, STRUT Dance, and the State Theatre Centre of WA.
Late applications and applications not submitted in the correct format will not be eligible for assessment.
For any questions please contact email@example.com.
Tura and STRUT Dance acknowledge the Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries and Lotterywest for the generous Resilience fund grant that has enabled these opportunities for WA independent artists.
Contact: Tura New Music
Phone: +61 (0)8 9228 3711
Mailing Address: Subiaco Arts Centre, 180 Hamersley Rd, Subiaco WA 6008