The ANAM Set
- Deadline date: 31 Jan 2021 [Delivery Deadline]
- Date held: Feb - Nov 2021
- Location: Melbourne, Australia
- Total prizes: 67 x AUD 5,000 commissions
- Work duration: 6 minutes (commissioned work)
Seeking Expressions of Interest from Australian Composers.
The Australian National Academy of Music (ANAM) has been awarded funding from the Commonwealth Government’s RISE fund to commission 67 Australian composers to each write a six-minute solo or duo work for – and in close partnership with – each of ANAM’s 67 musicians.
ANAM’s musicians will perform the world premieres of these 67 new Australian works between September and November 2021.
In addition to creating over six hours of new Australian music, this project seeks to provide each ANAM musician with the experience of collaborating with a composer to produce a new work that compliments and enriches their musical strengths.
ANAM’s Artistic Director and artistic staff will directly commission a number of these composers. Additionally, ANAM is seeking Expressions of Interest (EOI) from Australian composers of diverse backgrounds and career trajectories, working across a range of art music styles. Composers do not need to be currently based in Australia.
EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
- Works to be for either solo flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, trumpet, horn, trombone, tuba, percussion/timpani, piano (other keyboard instruments by negotiation), violin, viola, cello or double bass;
- Works may include auxiliary instruments by discussion;
- Works may include one additional instrument and/or electronics.
It is expected that the composers meet with their assigned ANAM musician (either online or in person) on a regular basis to collaborate on the development of their work.
- Feb 2021 - Composers confirmed
- Mar 2021 - Composers paired with musicians
- Jun – Sept 2021 - Delivery of scores/parts
(depending on performance date)
- Sept – Nov 2021 - Public performances and recordings
AUD 5,000 (excl. GST); 50% paid on signing of contract; 50% on delivery of score.
REQUIREMENTS AND APPLICATIONS
- Curriculum Vitae, including details of composition experience (including recent commissions and performances);
- Two recent scores, uploaded as attachments;
- Links to three recordings of recent works;
- A 250-word (maximum) statement outlining why you would like to be part of this project; what you might bring to a creative relationship with an ANAM musician, and what you would hope to gain from this experience;
- Contact details of two professional referees.
Fully completed EOIs must be received by midnight Sunday 31 January 2021 via ANAM’s online form at: anam.com.au/theANAMset
- Applications will be adjudicated by a panel comprising ANAM’s Artistic Director and members of ANAM’s artistic staff;
- Successful applicants will be required to enter into a contract with ANAM;
- All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their submission.
Further enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Australian National Academy of Music (ANAM) is dedicated to training the most exceptional classical musicians – aged 17-27 years – from Australia and New Zealand. ANAM provides an intense studio-based program of individually-tailored lessons, classes, coaching, seminars and rehearsals, which underpins the only professional performance training program in Australia, and one of the few in the world. Founded in 1995, ANAM is funded by a mix of Commonwealth Government funding and private fundraising revenue and is currently training 67 of the country's most outstanding musicians.
Contact: Australian National Academy of Music (ANAM)
Mailing Address: Abbotsford Convent, C1.31 Convent Building, 1 St Heliers St, ABBOTSFORD VIC 3067 AUSTRALIA