The Second International Gerardo Guevara Contest of Composition
- Discipline/Field: String quartet
- Deadline date: 9 Nov 2020 [Delivery Deadline]
- Date held: The results of the contest will be announced at the end of November 2020.
- Location: Moscow, Russia; and Quito, Ecuador, Ecuador
- Total prizes: Performance and recording
- Anonymous entry: Yes
- Work duration: between 3 and 5 minutes
You are invited to take part in the second international Gerardo Guevara contest of composition.
The contest was created by Y.O.I. - Young Orchestra Of Integration – Orquestra Joven De La Integracion – Молодой оркестр интеграции. The contest was organized to advance the compositions for a string quartet that were not published before or presented at public contests and festivals of composition for string quartets. The musical piece must be unique. Any kinds of arrangements, adaptations or variations of other compositions are not accepted to take part in the contest.
The purpose of the contest is to encourage composers to create new pieces of music in Ecuador genres and to form new shapes of the mentioned genres.
Ecuador and foreign composers under 36 years old who live on the territory of Ecuador or abroad.
The winners will get a medal of honor, a diploma and a video record of their performance. Each of the reward is unique and indivisible.
The first performance of the winner-compositions will be played by the YOI at the gala-concert (Online) in honor of the Ecuadorian composer Luis Humberto Salgado in Moscow, Russia. The composition will also be played by Ecuador symphony orchestra (Orquestra Ecuador Sinfonico) in Quito, Ecuador as part of the program of a regular concert season.
The contest will contain two nominations: Compositions of Ecuadorian composers and Compositions of foreign composers. Within each of the nomination, three prize places will be awarded.
The participants may present only one composition at the contest.
- The compositions for quartet must be original, they should not have been published, should not have been performed before or have awards.
- If the composition receives an award in another contest after the time the author sent it to the jury and before the jury has made a decision, the participant must inform the YOI about the fact as it automatically annuls its participation in the contest.
- Any kinds of arrangements or adaptations of other compositions are not accepted to take part in the contest.
- The length of the musical piece must be between 3 and 5 minutes. Any form, language and structure of the composition are accepted.
- The composition must be based on the Ecuadorian genres.
- The composition must be meant for a string quartet that contains:
one first violin
one second violin
Contact: Young Orchestra of Integration (Y.O.I.)