Sheet Music: Score
Fantasia on a theme of Vaughan Williams : for orchestra / Paul Stanhope
by Paul Stanhope (2003)
This piece pays homage to the famous Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis by English composer Ralph Vaughan Williams. Vaughan Williams uses a simple hymn-like choral piece by Thomas Tallis for his work; similarly I have used the famous hymn tune 'Down Ampney' by Vaughan Williams as the thematic basis for mine. Rather than limit the piece to just strings, as did Vaughan Williams, I have used the full complement of orchestral instruments including a large percussion battery.
Published by: Australian Music Centre — 1 facsimile score (59p. -- A3 (portrait))
Difficulty: Advanced — Professional orchestra or high level youth orchestra
Duration: 16 mins
1. Fanfares -- 2. Lugubrious -- 3. Percussive -- 4. a) Photo negative, b) Chorales with walking bass -- 5. "Fanfares" reprise -- 6. Hymn.
Includes programme note.
Originally titled Fantasia on a theme by Vaughan Williams.
Revised 2005. Corrections made May 2010.
This work was awarded 1st place in the Toru Takemitsu Composition Prize in 2004.
This edition produced May 10.
This work is also available in the following products:
CD: Inspired by...
- Browse other works for Full orchestra
- Browse other works by Paul Stanhope
Analysis & Media
- Article: Dawn of a new world symphony
- Program note: Paul Stanhope's "Fantasia on a Theme by Vaughan Williams"
Be the first to share your thoughts, opinions and insights about this item.
To post a comment please login