Digital Sheet Music [PDF]: Score
Riesenschritte : for alto saxophone, violin, viola, pianoforte and contrabass [eScore] / Andrián Pertout.
by Andrián Pertout (2010)
Available for immediate download
Riesenschritte for alto saxophone and pianoforte was commissioned by American saxophonist Noah Getz and represents a contemporary interpretation of John Coltrane's seminal work Giant Steps - the title track of the album 'Giant Steps', and a benchmark for most saxophonists. Giant Steps was recorded at Atlantic Studios, New York, USA on May 5, 1959, and released on Atlantic Records in January, 1960. This particular recording features John Coltrane (tenor saxophone), Tommy Flanagan (pianoforte) and Paul Chambers (contrabass). Coltrane was the "most influential and controversial tenor saxophonist in modern jazz", and the Coltrane changes (a strategy of chord substitution utilized in the composition based on the augmented cycle (CMaj7 [Bbm7, Eb7], Ab [F#m7, B7], and E [Dm7, G7]) "created a harmonic revolution", and became a substitute pattern applicable to any standard jazz chord progression. In 'The Jazz Theory Book Mark' Levine points out that "although Giant Steps is a very challenging tune, its 26 chords (10 key changes equal to 11 tonal centres) are just V-I and II-V-I progressions in only three keys: B, G, and Eb."
Published by: Australian Music Centre — 1 digital (PDF) facsimile score (45p. -- B4 (landscape))
Duration: 8 mins, 42 sec.
Includes extensive programme notes and performance notes.
Composer's no.: 402d.
The composer notes the following styles, genres, influences, etc associated with this work:
John Coltrane's album Giant Steps ; Jazz.
This work is also available in the following products:
This work also exists as the following versions:
- Saxophone with piano
- Quartets: Trombone, percussion, piano, double bass
- Quartets: Saxophone, drum kit, piano double bass
- Quintets: Saxophone, piano, violin, cello, double bass
- Quintets: Bass clarinet, saxophone, piano, violin, viola
- Marimba with piano
- Trios: Clarinet, saxophone, piano
- Sextets: Trumpet, piano, drum kit, violin, cello, double bass
- Browse other works for Quintets: Saxophone, piano, violin, viola, double bass
- Browse other works by Andrián Pertout
Analysis & Media
- Resonate Article: Melbourne Composers' League
- Resonate Article: Living Breath, Juxtapositional Flow and Emergent Spirit
Be the first to share your thoughts, opinions and insights about this item.
To post a comment please login