Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) update: due to many cancellations, it's important to check with event organisers if events currently in the calendar are taking place. If attending public events, please follow advice regarding washing your hands and wearing a mask, and exercise social distancing as advised by health authorities.
- Date: Saturday, 31 August 2019, 12 noon to midnight
- Venue: City Recital Hall — 2 Angel Place, Sydney, NSW
- Tickets: Standard: $35 — Tickets can be purchased online or by phone on (02) 8256 2222
Extended Play is back in 2019! The inaugural event last year was hailed as “the best new classical music initiative Sydney has seen in years” (The Australian), and an “exhilarating festival, wonderfully supportive of local artists and ensembles, emerging talent and an audience eager to engage.” (Real Time).
City Recital Hall and Lyle Chan have joined forces to create a spectacular program jam-packed with 12 hours of eclectic, contemporary, challenging and dynamic new music across the entire four floors of the venue. We are thrilled to present Margaret Leng Tan, the foremost performer of new piano music and the world's first toy piano virtuoso, for her Sydney debut, performing a brand new work of George Crumb.
The stellar line up of soloists, duos and ensembles includes artists from across Australia and internationally: Synergy, Sonya Lifschitz and Christine Johnston, Decibel, Halcyon, Australian Voices, Zephyr Quartet, and Vicky Chow, who will delve into an epic piano piece that may be one of the most physically demanding works seen on our stage. This is to name but a few – there are over 20 performances in 12 hours!
If you missed out on Extended Play last year, this is your chance to be part of something truly special in the Sydney music scene; and if you have been before, you know you can’t possibly resist coming back.
Featured non-Australian music: Andriessen, Reich
Further information for this event is available online at the event's website
Featured Australian Works
- Performer Decibel New Music
- Music of Nat Grant
- Music of Alice Chance
- Music of Tristan Coelho
- Music of Mark Oliveiro
- Music of Emily Tulloch
- Music of Jason Thomas
- Music of Belinda Gehlert
- Music of Olivia Davies
- Performer UNSW New Music Collective
- Performer Nonsemble
- Performer Margaret Leng Tan
- Performer Thea Rossen
- Performer Alexander Waite
- Performer Ashley William Smith
- Performer Emily Green-Armytage
- Performer Louise Devenish
- Conductor Lachlan Skipworth
- Performer Jenny Duck-Chong
- Performer The Australian Voices
- Conductor Gordon Hamilton
- Performer Australian Virtuosi
- Performer Halcyon
- Performer The Nano Symphony
- Performer Zephyr Quartet
User reviews & comments
Be the first to share your thoughts, opinions or insights about this event.
To post your comment please login